Sunday, May 16, 2010

Scary moments

Well yesterday was an interesting day at the Ham household.  Saturday afternoons we tend to wind down and get ready for school.  We try to get lunches ready for the week and make sure we have gotten all the stuff done we wanted for the weekend.  It is nice not to have too much stress going into the week. 

To say the least yesterday was not to be one of those Saturday's!  I had gone out with some girls to have a jewelry brunch which was so much fun!  One of my friends was selling jewelry with all the money going to Ugandan women who have lost their husbands and jobs because of fighting and other reasons.  Where was I ...Oh yes Saturday........  Well on Saturday afternoon I was messing around with my camera, I am trying to figure out new shots I can take with the camera, and I was sitting out on our porch.  Norris was getting a little sick of me taking pictures of his face!  I love reading "The pioneer woman"....She teaches so much about cameras and all sorts of things.  Well I decided to go outside and try some of the stuff she had mentioned on her blog.  While I was on the porch, there was a funny smell coming from downstairs.  I did not really think anything of it.  I came back inside and then I heard some yelling.  I noticed that it was not a man yelling for recycling but it was different.  So I went back outside.  I started listening to what they were saying and it sounded like they were saying"Fire!" 
    Now I am not sure what the Arabic word is for fire but I was convinced.  It did not take long.  Well Norris said he would check it out and I knew it was not good when he came back in and told me to grab my camera and the computer.  I kind of started to freak.  I did a good job of keeping it least for me.  We ran around the house and got all that we thought we needed.
   Norris said that when he leaned over the side to look off the porch he saw flames coming from the side of the building.  Luckily when we got down stairs there were people there with a bunch of hoses to put the fire out.  We think someone was smoking and they threw the bud into some dry leaves and they caught on fire.
After it was all over we were so grateful.  We now it was not a bad fire.  We are so blessed they got the fire out before it got worse.  The people on the first floor were also very blessed that it was not worse.  I am so thankful for the men that were walking by that saw the flames and alerted the building!!!!!!!!!!!!    

No comments:

Post a Comment